By Eval Asikong
In this part of our society, youth have been kept out of the affairs of their generation for so long. When it concern governance and politics, it is the same retirees of the spent generation that are often recycled. They use experience as their defensive mechanism to keep the youth at bay, while the youth, with their fluid intelligence and creativity, often resign to the belief that youth are the leaders of tomorrow, a “tomorrow” that never comes.
Youth have always hoped for the birth of an era where they will be allowed to control the affairs of their own generation. Today, the successful birth of that era has been midwifed by a veteran, an inventor and a professor, as amongst other youth, the youngest Special Adviser, ever, in Nigeria has been appointed by a governor christened, “digital governor”. Dr Betta Edu, a young lady of distinguished intelligence, intimidating achievements and credentials from Cross River state, is the youngest Special Adviser to the Governor, appointed to head the the Cross River State Government Department of Community and Primary Healthcare, a move that heralds a promising future.
Dr. Betta Edu, who holds a Master’s Degree in Public Health in developing countries from an internationally reputable London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, is also an ambassador of the state of Arkansas, United states of America.
Her zest for humanitarian service pushed her into the University of Calabar to study Medcine and Sugery, a programme she completed in 2010.
Sequel to her exceptional performance as a Student’s Union Government Vice President, she was nominated and selected through a rigorous process in which she emerged amongst the four that represented Nigeria in a leadership course sponsored by the Government of the United States of America. Her excellent performance was the reference point at Spring Language International Center, University of Arkansas where she underwent the study of the United States Institute for Student Leaders, sponsored by the United States Department of State, Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs(EAC), (Summer 2009). This opened her track to international tours and studies.
Dr Betta Edu has worked as Locum Medical Officer; University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Cross River state; House Officer, University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Cross River State; Chief Medical Director, National Youth Service Corp (NYSC), Cross River State Camp Clinic; Medical Officer, National Youth Service Corp (NYSC), serving at Government House Clinic, Calabar, Cross River State; Health consultant, Ministry of Health, Government of Cross River State, Nigeria; Team-Lead Member; London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Alumni Fund Campaign team; Consultant to the department of community and primary health, Cross River State and the Secretary of Health/Medical Committee in the 2015 Cross River State People’s Democratic Party(PDP) Campaign Organization and currently, the Special Adviser to The Governor of Cross River State on Community and Primary Healthcare.
Dr Betta Edu backs the following awards:
• Award of the CLASS ALL—ROUNDER—Class of 2010 (pulse), department of Medicine and Surgery, University of Calabar, Nigeria.
• Spring Language International Center (2009)- Award for completing the Study of United states Institute for student leaders on civil rights and the American south with distinction.
• Brilliant academic records
• Ambassador of good-will of the state of Arkansas(2009)—Arkansas Traveler Award for visitors who have contributed to community development, progress and well-being of the state of Arkansas.
• Award of the Most dedicated student Unionist of the year—Students’ Union Government (SUG) 2007/2008, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria.
• Award of best Students’ Union Government Executive 2007/2008—Creative Unfold Organization, University of Calabar, Nigeria.
• Award of the Best Students’ Union Government Parliamentarian 2006/2007—Students’ Union Government, University of Calabar, Nigeria.
Her humanitarian and community development service includes:
•United Nations Volunteer at the 12th Annual Global Classroom International High School Model UN Conference program (GCIMUN).—UN Head quarters and Grand Hyati, New York, USA. May 2011.
• Volunteer at Global HIV/AIDS initiative Nigeria (GHAIN), General hospital Calabar.
• Volunteer at the Refuge Babies and Refuge Girls home; Movement Against Child Abandonment (MACA)—POWER CALABAR. Nigeria.
• Community development work — Art Life Style workshop for developmentally disabled adult—Life Style for Living, Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA.
• Dr Betta Edu Free 3-day health outreach at Adadama village, Abi Local Government Area, Cross River State, Nigeria. 21st – 23rd December, 2011.
• Free Health out reach for rural dwellers in Boki, Akpabuyo bakassi and Abi LGA in Cross River State, Nigeria. June – August 2012.
• Free Health outreach for Adadama people displaced by conflict at Itigidi, Ugep and Ekori. January 2013.
Dr Betta Edu has held the following Leadership positions:
• House Captain—Remington House, Federal Government Girls’ College, Calabar. 2000-2001.
• Treasurer (EXCO), Cross River Medical Students’ Association; 2004-2006.
• Committee chairman- House Committee on HIV/AIDS, Students’ Union Parliament, University of Calabar, Nigeria. 2006-2007.
• Vice President Students’ Union Government, University of Calabar, Nigeria. 2007-2008.
• Students’ Representative in University of Calabar’s Project Advisory Committee (PAC). 2007-2008.
• President and coordinator of Female Leadership Forum; University of Calabar chapter. 2007-2008.
• Vice President- Action Group on Adolescent Health (AGAH), University of Calabar chapter. 2005-2009.
• Student’s Representative; Critical Mass Committee, University of Calabar HIV/AIDS program. 2006-2008.
• President Youth Fellowship; Jesus Action Ministries International, Calabar, Nigeria.2004-2009.
• Editor in Chief of the Syringe magazine; official magazine of the Calabar University Medical student association (CUMSA).2009-2010.
• Vice President Association of House Officers, University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Nigeria. 2011-2012.
• Chief Medical Director; National Youth Service Corp, Cross River State, Obubra Camp Clinic. , Cross River State. March 2012- April 2011
Secretary Cross River State PDP state wise campaign 2015 and currently,
The Special Adviser to the Governor on Community and Primary Health Care.
Dr Betta Edu, humane, resourceful, forward thinking and humble, believes success indeed comes from God.
The unedited views expressed in this article are the writer’s and not those of www.calitown.com
© 2015, Admin. All rights reserved.